Saturday, September 12, 2009

Nightcrawlers

Saturday Sept 12, 2009

It’s 4:30am. Boom, boom, boom. I’m not sure how close the nearest bar is but the sound of the base amp is distinct. There are people shouting in Chechewa though I do not have a clue what’s being said. This is the red light district, who knows. Waves of music line the background; it’s unclear what’s playing but it’s a significant reason for people to be out in the first place. There is rustling in the trees, the bushes. The dry grass makes this movement more pronounced.

I imagine a busy street with cars and people moving briskly about. People know it's unsafe to be out yet they do it anyway so I'm not sure how to imagine this scene. Instead, I wonder how much illegal activity is taking place as I write these words.

Dogs are barking. There has to be at least three dogs and they sound vicious. I’m not sure what has brought on their snarls and barks but it may be a good indication that there is some suspicious activity going on outside these walls. People are moving about, opening and closing heavy metal gates...they’re clunking from every passing person.

In the foreground there is a delightful sound countering the bustle and unimaginable: the delicate and innocently peaceful sound of chirping birds. There is also two birds calling to one another. Sounds like a mating call...whatever it is it brings a sense of calm with it.There is an orchestra of sound, of movement all around; who knows how far the sound has traveled to wake me tonight, all I know is I feel safer beneath the sheets. Hopefully the nightcrawlers stay in tomorrow night...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're starting off with a wide variety of experiences. And you have people to share them with. Very nice.

    David

    ReplyDelete