Thursday, September 10, 2009

Laughing to tears

It’s incredible how much laughter can erupt from 4 girls who are hungry, over tired, hilariously funny, and incredibly cynical. I will miss nights like this one; it’s one I hope to remember forever.
Around 7:00pm the four of us WUSC volunteers decided we had hungry stomachs and placed an order with the lodge cook for our dinners. Three of us decided on fish sandwiches and the other requested chicken and rice. Thirty minutes goes by...then forty five...one hour. Where on earth is our food? At the hour the cook asks if we’d like bread with the fish sandwich. Ummm, yes? We hear a squawking outside...must be fresh chicken tonight!
Of course all the while we’re waiting, we can’t help but crack up over all the small things about our day, the people we’ve met, the conversations we’ve had, the memories we hold back home and all the uncertainties and complications in between. I’m not sure if the medication I’ve taken today has side effects which the doctor failed to mention but it felt as though maybe, just maybe, I was given something other than the basic pain killers and anti-biotics. We couldn’t help but joke that maybe they’d given me ecstasy with the motivation being “welcome to Africa, have fun!” I say this because I was literally crying laughing. Tears were streaming down my face for a good hour. Everything was funny. EVERYTHING!
One hour and 15, still nothing. One of our comrades decides to use the public toilet room and before we know it she’s whimpering, “guys, I can’t get out, the key broke.” Haha, what!? This is FUNNY stuff. Literally. We can’t believe how the events of the day have gone, now this? This was to be expected for sure! While the shemozzle of the locked-from-the-inside toilet room was going on our food finally arrived. One hour and 45 minutes later. I couldn’t help but burst into a laughing fit. The fish sandwiches consisted of two petite “Gambo” fish (local fish), and dry bread toasted with the ends cut off. Of course I had to capture this on film! How did we wait 1 ¾ hours for this! ? Haha! Yes, this is funny stuff for sure!
Before indulging in our 300MKW meal, we waited and watched in awe as one of the guards pried open the toilet room door with a crow bar. The day was saved but seriously, if anyone had been there for this I’m confident you would have found this to be hysterical! At the end of the day, and a broken bathroom door later, we finished our dinner and headed to bed. Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of our dinner so you can laugh at this too...we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. You are very lucky Jamie. Once in Malawi, I ordered a meal and took 3 hours to arrive to my table: I guess the cook had to round up some chickens from the near village because of short supply. In any case, I enjoyed the meal,
    Cheers,
    Wilder

    ReplyDelete